Monday, April 19, 2010

Black Women: Let’s Talk Red Lipstick


I decided to make a post about this since a viewer posed a question about red lipstick and maybe this will be helpful to other black women who have similar concerns and/or questions.

I will be the first to let you know that I do not follow any rules when it comes to makeup. I believe that with correct application, one can rock anything they want. But this is specifically for black women and red lipstick. 

When I am out and about and I am wearing red lipstick, I always get the question, how do I, a black woman, do it and make it look great and flattering? So I am familiar with the hesitancy that black women feel when considering red lipstick. But I am here to tell you that you should not be afraid, just do whatever you want to do. But if you are starting out and do not know where to start I would recommend starting with MAC’s Dubonnet, Spice It Up, or Underworld. (You can visit their website to see the colors). While you do not have to purchase MAC, these are just examples that will help guide you to red colors that suits black women beautifully. Then when you are comfortable you can start venturing out to others. Another brand that I think is really lovely for black women  is Black Radiance, I was in Walgreens one day and they were having a sale so I stocked up and I must say that I do not regret. They have beautiful colors that look great on black women and they are super cheap. 

I usually start my application by making sure that my lips are well moisturized, and while I recommend a lip brush, it is not a must (but I do love lip brushes), they allow a more polish and precise look. I then apply a concealer that matches my skin tone to help give me a blank canvas as well as conceal any discoloration I might have on my lips. Next, I apply my lip liner (sometimes I apply lip liner after applying my lipstick) followed by my lipstick. After that, I apply lipstick on my lip brush and go in a fix any imperfections. I always have my concealer nearby just in case my lipstick travels where I do not want it and I need to clean it up. Done.


Hope this was helpful, anything else do not hesitate to ask. 

Kisses :)

3 comments:

  1. Underworld and Spice It Up look like ones that I want to try! This is SMS by the way lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...i know its you hun ;)...thanks for stopping by. i love spice it up, they are both wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came by your blog looking up rules for wearing red lipstick, and as i am a makeup noob can you explain one thing for me? i was looking at the pic where you have on the pink lipstick and the pic of the lips with the red lipstick and my question is why do you apply the lipstick past your natural lip line on the bottom lip? Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete